Due to the many requests for personal information here is some Liona Boyd info that we hope will be helpful and of interest. With Liona's help we have compiled this list so that you do not need to send emails with similar requests.
Additional information can be seen under Press Kit, or by reading Liona's autobiography, "In My Own Key—My Life in Love and Music".
London, England / Toronto, Canada / San Miguel de Allende, Mexico / Paris, France / San Francisco, USA / Vancouver, Canada / Beverly Hills CA / Miami FL /New Canaan Connecticut, Santa Monica CA.
HOBBIES AND PASTIMES
Singing and playing guitar, walking on the beach / hiking in the hills / practicing Spanish and French and watching foreign films /oil painting / traveling / cruising / dancing / writing poetry / attending classical and popular concerts / watching documentaries, keeping contact with friends and family around the world
* Concert at the Los Angeles Courthouse for the sequestered jury members of the O. J. Simpson trial.
* A concert for the Cree natives in Moose Factory, Northern Ontario, after paddling a canoe for two weeks up the Missinabi River to get there
* Concert in Mother Theresa's Hospice in Calcutta, India
* Performance at a private party in the Kremlin on New Year's Eve
* Recital aboard a Canadian Navy icebreaker in Bermuda
* Private concert at Windsor Castle for the British Royal Family.
Venice / San Miguel de Allende / Paris / Rome / Buenos Aires / Rio de Janeiro/ Hong Kong / Bangkok / Vancouver / Toronto / Los Angeles/ San Francisco/Dubrovnik
FAVORITE CLASSICAL COMPOSERS
Beethoven/ Bach /Debussy/ Mozart/Tarrega / Albeniz / De Falla/ Granados/ Chopin / Vivaldi / Mahler
FAVORITE FILM COMPOSERS
Ennio Morricone / Maurice Jarre / John Barry / James Horner / Gabriel Yared
Lawrence of Arabia / Dr. Zhivago / The English Patient / Gone with the Wind / Room with a View / A Man and Woman / Gigi / Indochine / Don Juan de Marco / Casablanca / Westside Story / Evita / The Age of Innocence / The Man who Cried / Frida / Ladies in Lavendar /Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Julio Iglesias / Sarah Brightman/Nana Mouskouri / Enya / Leonard Cohen / Placido Domingo / Joan Baez / Gordon Lightfoot / Sting / The Rolling Stones / Georges Moustaki / Julian Bream / Yo-Yo Ma / Pepe Romero / Christopher Parkening / LA Guitar Quartet/ The Canadian Tenors
Shakespeare / Lawrence Durrell / Isabel Allende / Michael Ondaatje / T.E. Lawrence / Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Garcia Lorca / Pablo Neruda / Octavio Paz / Antonio Machado / Longfellow / Tennyson
Renoir / Monet / Picasso / Henry Moore / Frieda Kahlo
FAMILY AND PERSONAL FACTS
* Liona has one younger sister Vivien, and one younger brother, Damien.
* Her only "child" has white fur, green eyes, and says, "Meow". (A shaded silver American short-hair, named "Muffin"). She had to leave him with her husband when she divorced but still has visting rights.
* Liona's parents live in Toronto, Canada, and her grand-parents lived in Spain and England.
* Height 5'7" / Weight 115 pounds / Has had long hair all her life.
* Engaged for eight years to Joel Bell / married for thirteen years to John B. Simon 1992-2004
* Full name—Liona Maria Carolynne Boyd
English, Spanish, French
Dr Wayne Dyer/Deepak Chopra/ Brian and Ana Maria Clement, Oprah Winfrey/Prince Philip / Robert Redford / Jane Goodall / Guadaloupe Arizpe de la Vega/ Doctor Andrew Weil /Richard Branson / Peter Ustinov / Robert Bateman / Yehudi Menuhin/ David Suzuki / Dr Neal Barnard/ Ray Kurzweil
* Included in The Twelve Sexiest Canadian Women (The Great Canadian Book of Lists). Shania Twain is Number 1; Liona Number 8.
* Liona's first guitar is displayed in the Museum of Civilization, Ottawa, Canada.
* Liona's gold concert shoes are displayed in the Bata Shoe Museum, Toronto, Canada
* Liona was named Artist of the Year and Honorary Mayor of the city of San Antonio
* 2010 made Honorary Patron of the National Youth Orchestra
Mosquitoes / blackfly / large spiders / religious extremism / cruelty to animals or humans
Fresh fruit/ organic salads / sunflower sprouts/ freshly baked whole wheat bread / virgin pina coladas / English tea / cappuccinos / dark chocolate /lifetime vegetarian but occasionally eats fish/ can make great organic blueberry and raspberry pancakes!
German Vazquez Rubio guitars, Cherry-wood music stand hand-carved especially for Liona by Edwin Vollmer of Salt Spring Island, her father's paintings and sculptures, 5 Juno Awards, childhood bears Mosey and Tonka after which her label Moston Music is named.
White / cream / turquoise / gold / pink /purple
Bugambilia, yellow roses / Birds of Paradise / Daffodils / Cala Lilies / Poppies
Vent Vert by Pierre Balmain
Moon child (Cancer)
Gold Lexus 430 – License Plate "2Guitar"
* First instrument played was the treble recorder.
* Liona was thrown out of her elementary school class choir at age six and told she could not sing.
* Her first instrumental concert was the talent competition on-board the ocean liner sailing from England to Canada. She and her sister Vivien played a recorder duet, "The Blue Bells of Scotland." They did not win. Later Liona took both first and second prizes in the art competition on the next ocean liner when returning for the second time to Canada.
* Her first guitar was a Christmas present from her parents at age thirteen. (It had been purchased in Spain as a souvenir when Liona was seven.) Her first guitar concert was presented by the Toronto Guitar Society four years later.